Monday, March 31, 2008

Allie LaForce interview:

Allie LaForce is a freshman at Ohio University, majoring in journalism in the Honors Tutorial College and the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. JSchool director Tom Hodson interviewed LaForce during the first week of spring quarter.

Q: With what local media are you involved and in what capacity?

A: Currently, I am involved with WOUB as well as Ohio Sports Zone. For WOUB, I travel to and report on high school basketball games as well as produce the morning sports cast about once a week. For Ohio Sports Zone, I am a reporter as well. I was very active in the fall and will continue to be active in the spring. Unfortunately, I was not able to report during basketball season due to conflict in scheduling.

Q: How would you rate your opportunities to engage in “sports journalism” as a first-year student at Scripps? Explain.

A: On a ten point scale, ten being the best, I would rate my opportunities as a ten. Professors, students, and alumni have done a wonderful job informing me of all of the opportunities that Scripps has to offer. On top of that, I have been embraced by each local media organization to become an active participant. Also, each organization has proven to be extremely flexible making a valiant effort to work around my busy schedule.

Q: How have you been able to juggle your academic commitments and your sports journalism commitments?

A: Juggling academic commitments with sports journalism commitments has not been difficult for me. There are stressful times however, I keep my priorities straight. I keep in mind my class load, important academic dates, as well as my time dedicated to basketball before making a sports journalism commitment. The sports journalism organizations that I have worked with are well aware that academic commitments come first.

Q: Are you happy that you decided to come to the Scripps School? Are you getting what you were promised? If so, how?

A: I am extremely happy that I decided to come to Scripps. When I came on my visit I asked, “Why should I come to Ohio University instead of Northwestern (my second choice)?” I was told that I would be able to gain hands on experience as a freshman that I could not have at Northwestern. He was completely right. I have already gained a great deal of journalism experience and my freshman year is not even finished!

Q: Are you getting adequate academic and career advice?

A: Absolutely. My academic adviser is available at all times. In my journalism classes, the professors have brought in many speakers to share both academic and career advice. I recently transferred to the Honors Tutorial College. My new academic adviser helps me plan out classes as well as discuss steps toward a successful career on a one-on-one basis. He is available at all times. The Honors Tutorial College has a very close-knit environment. Everyone is willing to share adequate academic and career advice at any time.

No comments: