Friday, March 28, 2008

Caleb Troop interview:

Caleb Troop is in his first year of study in Ohio University's E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. In this interview he tells JSchool director Tom Hodson about experience he is gaining as a freshman.

Q: With what local media are you involved and in what capacity?

A: I work for several different media companies. On the print side, I have been the sports columnist for The Athens NEWS since I arrived on campus in late August. I stay busy on the radio at WATH-AM and WXTQ-FM in Athens. I co-host a nightly sports talk call-in show weeknights from 6-7 on WATH called “The SportsFan”. Additionally, as the flagship station of Ohio University sports, we have several pre-game shows for every single football game and many of the home basketball games. Our stations also cover local high school sports, so I did countless play-by-play broadcasts of football and basketball in the fall and winter, respectively. On the Ohio Bobcat Sports Network, I did the play-by-play for one OU women’s basketball contest on top of my regular pre-game report duties, and I will contribute as a play-by-play broadcaster for the OU men’s baseball team this spring. Lastly, I write frequently on my “Bobcat Blog” hosted on my website, www.TroopSports.com.

Q: How would you rate your opportunities to engage in “sports journalism” as a first-year student at Scripps? Explain.

A: My first year opportunities have been fantastic at Ohio University and the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. I came to college with a strong amount of experience, in high school, so I felt that the sky was the limit if I worked hard. That said, not once did I think I would be involved to the extent that I am currently. While I have been fortunate with the connections I have made, without a doubt the school and the city that surrounds it allows for boundless opportunities.

Q: How have you been able to juggle your academic commitments and your sports journalism commitments?

A: One’s ability to juggle a course load and extracurricular events is always vital. In large part due to my work ethic and ability to stay organized, I have been able to keep up with my hectic schedule. For me, experience in the field of sports journalism is as important if not more important that classes, so I have not found myself saying ‘No’ to any of the opportunities that have come my way. However, when push comes to shove, I have made sure to keep my academics a priority, and that has showed with my grades through the first two quarters.

Q: Indicate how your sports journalism experience during your first-year will help you with future internships.

A: My experience has already helped my garner a very impressive internship at one of the largest radio stations in the nation. I will be interning at KMOX-AM in St. Louis this summer. The station has been the starting spot for many of the prominent sports casters over the last several decades, including Bob Costas, Joe Buck, and many more.

Q: Are you happy that you decided to come to the Scripps School? Are you getting what you were promised? If so, how?

A: I am extremely pleased I chose to come to the Scripps School over other schools such as Missouri, Syracuse and Northwestern to name a few. My decision was based on one word: experience. I could have waited a year or two to be on air or in a newspaper at other journalism programs, but I was told that I would have the ability to step in and make a difference right away at Ohio. Sure enough, my first quarter I took two journalism core classes and was busy on the radio five or six nights a week.

Q: Are you getting adequate academic and career advice? Explain….

Q: Yes, I am getting an overwhelming amount of advice at Ohio University. The moment I established a relationship with Director Tom Hodson late this summer I knew my professors and bosses would quickly become friends, and they have. Whether it is help in a class or help with my growth as a broadcaster and writer, Hodson and others have been ubiquitous. But maybe the most important and surprising guidance I have received has been away from the books or the microphone. The people at Ohio University care about my augmentation in life, too.

No comments: